Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Question The American Flag? How Dare You!


I was on Facebook the other day and I noticed someone had linked this. It's a poll to ask you if the American flag should be banned-in America. I didn't answer it because it's an absurd question, and also because it was on Fox news. It seemed like a random question, and I was unable to find a link to another story to explain it. Long story short I was informed of it's relationship to this story. Well, of course, there is more to that story than kids being kicked out of school for wearing the American flag. They were kicked out for being racist pricks. I got into an argument with a commenter on that post, and of course, he was all about loving 'Merica and the flag. So I wanted to take a moment here and point some things out.

All students there had been asked to not wear any flags at all (that means American, Mexican, Estonian, etc) on Cinco De Mayo because of all the tensions it caused the year before. These 5 decided they were going to break the rules and then hide behind their 'patriotism'. They were using the flag as a smoke screen to justify making other students feel inferior, unwanted, and unimportant.

That is what upsets me the most about this story. We will totally allow racism if it's wrapped in an American flag. We won't look past the flag detail and see the rest of the story. "We love the flag! We are 'Mericans! Fuck other cultures! Fuck making public schools places where all the students feel safe! 'Merica!" It's sickening. These boys knew exactly what they were doing. They were going to defy the school's decision, let those damn Mexicans know who's in charge of this country, and openly display their hate and bigotry. Then they let the flag shield them from all the consequences.

And it worked. The right wing saw them as heroes. They were touted as champions of the 1st amendment. What is wrong with people? These boys are bigots, and they were punished as they were told they would be. They were entirely in the wrong. 'Patriotism' should not be used as magic armor from criticism.

Using your 'patriotism', or your faith for that matter, to hide your bigotry is always disgusting. It is a cowards move and it only fools those with the same diminished mental capacity as the person doing it. Wake up and look past your blinders of stars and stripes and see the actual injustice done. Not everyone waving the flag deserves respect. Not everyone with a cross is a good person.

14 comments:

  1. Well said. What irritates me most is that these kids were probably only parroting the rhetoric they hear at home... they were probably encouraged by their parents - either overtly or subtlety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe the hatred and bigotry that is not only out there right now, but how socially acceptable an almost expected it has become!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When Fascism comes it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

    In other words, it will be on Fox News.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew, I agree. One of the stories I linked to actually says something about how their parents just blindly take their sides. My dad would have smacked me.

    Virgil, It's so frustrating. If I ever do anything to get arrested and go to court, I'm going to invoke the flag and god. It will get me a lesser sentence.

    bluzdude, I was gonna include that quote in the post, but I thought I was already getting too melodramatic hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is the very reason a lot of schools are going with school uniforms. Honestly, I'm a little bit sickened by what those boys got away with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all; the school shouldn't be allowed to ban any flag. That infringes on the first amendment. Next, you said that 'we will allow racism if it's wrapped in the American flag' which is a ridiculous statement because they DIDN'T! Just like you said, the school banned any flag from being displayed which is because of stupid fucking modern political correctness. I would have done the same thing as those kids if they told me I couldn't display the American flag in the United States of Fucking America!!! Also, since this IS America; who here gives a fuck about cinco de mayo. Mexicans that are here came here because there is more opportunity and because we're a far better country. So if Mexicans want to celebrate cinco de mayo, then why don't they just fuckin go back to Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so basically, you are posting that you don't understand this article at all. And that you are a racist asshole...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im sorry but im with anonymous on some parts but on his "racist"Comment's i think are wrong Mexicans can celebrate what ever they want here its a free country....But we should be able to wear a flag in school or out and they shouldn't be banned none of them should be..........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Proud to be an AmericanSeptember 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM

    I pledge allegiance to the FLAG of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, And to the REPUBLIC, for which IT STANDS, ONE nation, UNDER GOD, Indevisible, with LIBERTY, and JUSTICE for ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're no reverend! I hear hate in your rantings. Some people just need to bring up the race card ALL THE TIME! So sad! I think YOU are racist!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such anger! I'm for uniforms in schools. Those students have no 1st amendment rights. When they are 18 they will. I'm so tired of "political correctness" myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Fox news - the other networks are way too liberal and that makes them one-sided. Do you even know what Fascism is?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Proud MexicanAmericanSeptember 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM

    Are you out of ur mind or just stupid? Do you know how America became to be? You obviously don't otherwise you wouldn't have written such an ignorant comment. Read some history books an get educated before you open ur racist, ignorant mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am 100% with you. I am sick of people promoting racism, bigotry and hatred, all in the name of patriotism. I am a a conservative Republican woman who is tired of all the bullshit of teaching children that one race, one faith, one religion, one color, and article of clothing, shoe style, haircut, or whatever, makes them better than the next person. I know it isn't true and I know it isn't what our founding fathers meant when our country was in the throes of revolution. Get out of your tiny neighborhood pocket and see the world; not just your town, not just your state, not just the USA. See how it is to live without the guarantee of constitutional law, the right to assemble, freedom to speak your mind and not disappear, be arrested or killed. Then go home and truly appreciate all the freedoms that absolutely no one on this planet can claim. Then go home and protect all that is precious to us as Americans. This has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. Nothing to do with Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. It has to do with being 100% American.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...