This is Michele Bachmann, and she is a nutjob. She recently signed a pledge from THE FAMiLY LEADER, and let me tell you, it's pretty messed up.
The pledge states that,
- 1 million children in the U.S. suffer from their parents getting divorced. (Because the parents need to live in misery, apparently, to protect the delicate child. More on that in a moment.)
- The taxpayer is out over 112 billion dollars because of divorce.
- Social protections for women and children are evaporating.
- And for this one, I'm going to quote the document directly.
"Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA's first African-American President."After it states these thing, it gets to the vows. The signer vows...
- Fidelity to their spouse.
- Respect for others marriages (As long as they are straight marriages).
- Fidelity to the Constitution.
- "Vigorous Opposition" to changing the definition of marriage from "one man and one woman".
- Support marriage law reform to remove "quickie divorces".
- Support legal defenses for the Defense Of Marriage Act.
- "Steadfast Embrace" to add an amendment to the Constitution to define marriage as "one man and one woman".
- Protecting women and children by removing prostitution, human trafficking, abortion, pornography, and promiscuity.
- Making it so women the military are not allowed into any kind of combat role, to protect them, of course.
- "Rejection of Sharia Islam and all other anti-woman, anti-human rights forms of totalitarian control".
- Recognizing that women need to make lots of babies for the good of the U.S.A.
- Fierce defense of the First Amendment, as long as no one is using it to offend the faithful.
First is the fact that they make a big deal that people get divorced. They pull out the old favorite, "Think of the children!" Because when parents get divorced, children might be subject to the real world. I'm sure that there is damage done when there is a divorce, but there is always more damage when people stay together "for the children". If parents aren't happy together, there is no reason to stay together. Period. A pursuit of happiness is part of our Declaration of Independence.
Second, yes national protections for women and children are evaporating. They are evaporating because of groups like this one!
Next is the the whole slavery thing. What the fuck? Are they seriously suggesting that an African-American child was better off in slavery? Are they really forgetting how slavery broke apart families? Are they trying to say that Obama is somehow responsible for any of it? For fuck's sake!
The vows are equally stupid.
Vowing to respect other people's marriage, so long as they are straight marriages? Did she not before? Why can't we respect gay marriages? This is ridiculous.
Opposition to changing the definition of marriage? Why would that be a good thing? Homosexuals are people too, and they are citizens (A fact that I rank lower than being a person). They deserve equal rights and protections under the law. Their marriage will not disrupt yours. If you don't like gay marriage, don't have one!
Removing the ability for people to have "quickie divorces" would make so many problems. Some people get married on a whim, or without much thought, or too young. These people may find that they aren't compatible, or that they weren't ready. Why should we force them to be anchored to each other? This would only help to promote unhappiness and misery.
She also vows to remove anything that may taint the innocence of children. Up to, and including; abortion, pornography, and promiscuity. First, pornography is not a social evil. I've said as much before. Second, promiscuity is not a social evil. If people like to have sex, let them! As long as it's consenting adults, then the number of partners they have is no ones business, and it won't effect anyone else. Third, abortion. They claim that women's rights are evaporating, and to help renew them we need to remove more. Reproductive rights are essential to equal rights for women. If we start forcing to women to have children we become monsters.
Making it so women in the military can't be in any kind of combat position, for "protection", does not help to grant them equal rights. These women joined the military, went through all the training, and have earned their positions. How dare you vow to take that away from them?
This next part is, personally, the most hilarious/disgusting. They say they want to make sure Sharia law is never in place, so women's rights and other human rights won't be violated. So, Christian Dominionism is all about equal rights for all? They have already shown to be completely unwilling to grant equal rights, how utterly ironic to say that they don't want someone else to come take your rights away. What they are really saying is that they don't want Islam to do it when Christianity is completely capable.
The more I read this thing and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Michele Bachmann has, by signing this Presidential Pledge, proven that she is a complete nutjob. She has shown that she hates; homosexuals, non-Christians, African-Americans, women, equality, and pretty much anyone who isn't just like her. She isn't fit to lead this country, and I find it sickening that she even has a chance to get into the Presidential race. She hates other people's freedoms. She will never look out for anyone who isn't a white fundamentalist Christian. Michele Bachmann will never be able to be the leader of this whole country, because she doesn't care about the whole country. She cares about Michele Bachmann, and those like her. We need a President that is able to empathize with other human beings. We don't need Michele eroding our freedoms, and preventing other citizens from getting theirs.